Exhibition Block No. 2 (Ando Gallery)
The gallery building was designed by the Tadao Ando Architect & Associates as a request from the museum to further invigorate the energy of the existing facility. Through displays of architectural models and drawings, the gallery introduces Ando’s architecture and general architectural culture.
Name of the facility:
Exhibition Block No. 2, Hyogo Prefectural Museum of Art
10:00–18:00 (Closes at 20:00 on Fridays and Saturdays during Special Exhibitions; last admission is 30 minutes before closing)
Same as the Hyogo Prefectural Museum of Art
Outline of the building
(1) Structure：Steel structure, three stories above the ground
(2) Building area：87.82 m²
(3) Total floor area：614.74 m²
＜1＞ Hyogo/Reconstruction (2F)
Tadao Ando is deeply associated with Hyogo Prefecture. This area showcases his involvement in the recovery efforts after the 1995 Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake, including various reconstruction projects. Displays of other structures designed by Ando in Hyogo Prefecture are also on view.
- Sketches of the 1995 Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake
- Display of his endeavors for reconstruction and support after the disaster.
- Reconstruction projects (Awaji-Yumebutai, Hyogo Prefectural Museum of Art) and other buildings designed by Ando in Hyogo Prefecture (Rokko Housing, Koshino House, 4×4 House, Rock Field Factories)
＜2＞ Origin/Works (2F)
This area showcases Ando’s residential design, the origin of his architecture, his famous buildings (including “The Row House in Sumiyoshi” and “The Church of the Light”), and his office.
- 1:200 models of Ando’s early residential work and display
- The Row House in Sumiyoshi – 1:10 concrete model and display
- The Church of the Light – 1:10 concrete model, 1:100 FRP model, and display
- The Atelier in Oyodo – 1:20 concrete model and display
＜3＞ New Project (3F)
『Projects in Naoshima』
This series of cultural projects has been underway for 30 years on Naoshima Island, which is located in the Seto Inland Sea.
『Nakanoshima Children’s Library』
Tadao Ando developed the concept and design of the Nakanoshima Children’s Library which will open in March 2020 in Nakanoshima, Osaka. It will be a facility where children can form a foundation to become the leaders of the next generation as well as heighten their cultural sensitivities.
『Punta della Dogana, Bourse de Commerce』
“Utilize what exists and create what doesn’t exist.” Ando has also been engaged in projects to renovate and revitalize historic buildings.
- Punta della Dogana in Venice, Italy – 1:30 wooden model and display
- Bourse de Commerce in Paris, France – 1:100 wooden model and display
2. Outdoor exhibit『Green Apple』on a terrace which faces the sea
This art installation was designed by Tadao Ando and was inspired by the poem “Youth” written by the American poet, Samuel Ullman.
On our website
We introduce the highlights of the museum’s architecture as must-see architectural spots.Architectural Highlights